Hellooooo my people 🙂 I’ve been away for far too long. I told someone not too long ago, that my biggest hesitation in starting a blog was fear of not being consistent and well, that happened because hello…LIFE! However, my sweet little cherubs just started their first day back to school and I now have 3 hours, 3 days a week all to myself. I haven’t been kidless on a regular basis in 5 years!!! I have high hopes and aspirations for this time alone and hopefully those precious hours aren’t filled up with grocery shopping, cleaning, and laundry but that I can take some time for soul care.
Anyways, I thought a great way to jump back in would be to share with you 3 Things I am loving and what I am reading. One of my favorite podcasters, Jamie Ivey always asks her guests these questions at the end of every episode and it’s my favorite part. Which by the way, if you haven’t checked out her podcast yet, YOU NEED TO, the Happy Hour with Jamie Ivey (you’re welcome).
3 Things I am Loving:
- Nickel and Suede: I’ve been eyeing these earrings for months and I finally ordered a pair. They are light weight leather earrings that make a BOLD statement and let me tell you they are AMAZING! I have worn them so much and love the fact that you can wear them dressed up or dressed down with just a t-shirt and jeans. I am obsessed and now need a pair in EVERY color!
- NORWEX: why oh why, am I just now taking the Norwex plunge? I heard about these cloths a couple of years ago, but just recently decided to purchase a few. I am in LOVE with how simple they have made cleaning. I literally can clean my entire house with one cloth and water. BOOM! I am having a Norwex party on Facebook September 12th. Pour yourself a glass of wine, put on your pjs, get comfy and join us! I promise you won’t regret it 🙂
- FALL: Fall is right around the corner and it’s my FAVORITE season! I love everything about it…football, fall food, clothes, the leaves/trees, the way the air smells, and of course anything and everything PUMPKIN!! Can I get an AMEN!?!? In fact, at 1:30 am this morning I was googling when Starbucks comes out with their Pumpkin Spice Lattes this year ( I was up with a 10 month old who doesn’t like sleep, therefore I need all the coffee). For those of you wondering, it’s September 8th by the way 🙂
3 Things I am Reading:
*Disclaimer: in true book worm fashion, I am actually in the middle of 6 books right now, but only these 3 are worth mentioning*
- Giddy Up, Eunice by Sophie Hudson: This is a fun, light read but packed with some good truth and wisdom. Basically, its about the importance of being in relationships with women older than us and younger than us. “The sister in Christ who is standing ahead of us or behind us or even at our own front door is not a threat. She neither hinders nor diminishes the assignment the Lord has given us. But if we let ourselves get sidetracked by pettiness or, heaven forbid, some good, old fashioned paranoia, we may miss the wonder of seeing how intricately the Lord has woven our stories together, how intentionally He has intersected our paths, and how beautifully our callings complement each other.”
- Out of the House of Bread by Preston Yancey: If you are looking to learn more about spiritual disciplines, ancient practices and how to incorporate them into your daily life, I highly recommend this book. I love learning about scriptural meditation and reflective prayer and I have enjoyed Yancey’s fresh take on these ancient practices. I love what he says in his chapter entitled Rootedness when talking about traditions, “Oftentimes we, Anglicans or otherwise, do not struggle with being evangelical or charismatic. We struggle with tradition. We struggle with aspects of religion we believe to be more about man than about God. Yet the Bible does not resist tradition. The Bible welcomes it…Tradition need not be suspect if we are mindful of its fundamental purpose: to root us, center us back again and again on the wonder and awe of God…They allow us new ways to worship God, new ways to see God’s world, new ways to abide in the seasons when God seems far off.”
- Redeeming Sex by Debra Hirsch: A few years ago I read Untamed by Alan and Debra Hirsch. It was a challenging but thought provoking read and I thought this book had the same potential. I am just a few chapters in and so far, I am highlighting and “amen-ing” every other paragraph. Debra has a crazy story as to how she became a disciple of Jesus. She references many of my favorite authors and theologians. I am excited to dive deeper into this book, but for now I will leave you with this excerpt…”It seems to me that when we look to Jesus and his assessment of sin, it looks very different from the puritan code that prevails in many churches. Where we are tempted to put sexual sin at the top of the pile, Jesus names greed and pride. Money and wealth–not sex–are for Jesus what is most likely to compete with God for our loyalty (Matthew 6:24). Where we are likely to simply expel sexual sinners, Jesus seems to be very merciful and gracious with them (John 4:1-26; 8:1-11). As much as Jesus cares about the totality of our lives, I sometimes wonder whether Jesus is concerned more by what we do with our money that what we do with our genitals!”
There you have it folks! Now, it’s your turn…I’d love to hear 3 things you are loving and what you are reading. Ready…AND…go!